It's been a while. Life's like that. Sometimes, a bunch of stuff happens and you can't do stuff. That last post reminded me of a quote from J.K. Rowling:
I've met literally thousands of children now. Not one of them has said to me you've really turned me on to the occult, not one of them. Now I'm convinced that if that's what my books were doing, I would by now have met one child who would have come up to me, covered in pentagrams and said, 'Can we go and sacrifice a goat later together, will you do that with me?' It's never happened, funnily enough."
Anyway, I was thinking today about hats. Hats have an amazing place in our society. They are some of our most recognizable symbols. They can tell you occupation, age, or, in the case of a
lobster hat, level of sanity. What got me thinking about this was that yesterday my brother had his 18th birthday party (mostly high school seniors) and they all wore party hats. The cardboard cone with elastic has come to mean "I look stupid but I'm at a party and I'm having fun so I don't care." I'm wearing a party hat right now, and I'm not at a party. In this case it simply means "I look stupid and I don't care" this is the same meaning as the lobster hat has. So, hats are one of our society's most powerful forms of expression and, surprise, surprise, the school has banned them. Just like them, destroying freedom of expression, starting with the little things and moving up. You know, censorship is legal in the high school press.
Any, my point is, I have no point. I just thought I should write, cuz it's been a while. And I'm wearing a party hat.