If you haven't seen the film yet, read at your own risk.
My view of this film is a little different then what you'll hear. I didn't cry. I didn't feel profoundly moved. Personally, for me, the film was nothing new. Just a visual depiction of what I already knew to be the truth with a few artistic touches by Gibson. A lot of people who were affected by it more than I are more visually oriented or hadn't fully grasped the reality of the crucifixion, neither of which describe me.
But at the same time, I really liked this film. It took the truth I already knew and threw it into a brilliant artistic style. It was a great statement of faith for Mel Gibson. Gibson's touches were judiciously used - most of the film came from the bible. The things he did add all added to the message. The flashback to Jesus's young adulthood, for instance, gives us a glimpse into Jesus as a fun, playful person. The corporeal Satan who faded in and out of the story visually brought out some spiritual themes. The added lines and characterization of characters like Simon or the soldiers just served to make it even more real. Which is what the film was all about - making it real. Painting a picture of the Passion for those who hadn't seen it before. I think this film will have a great legacy - it will convert people, it will open up dialogue and consideration of religion among others. Either way, everyone should see it.
And the resurrection at the end - just enough.