<$BlogRSDURL$>

What Kind of Life Has It Been

My name is Jonah, and this is the new blog. I carry on Michael's torch while he lights himself on fire over at http://www.whatkindofdayhasitbeen.squarespace.com

24 December 2004

The Writing Truck 

I started developing an interesting metaphor the other day. As some of you know, I write a story online. Every chapter is available to my small but loyal readership as I finish it. The funny thing is, I didn't come up with a premise first. I'm writing this thing by the seat of my pants.
ANd what I was thinking the other day is that this sort of writing is like driving a big truck down a narrowing road. At first it was the easiest thing in the world, but it's getting harder and harder. The road is narrowing, it's getting harder to see what's in front of me, and obstacles spring up off of nowhere. Sometimes, in an effort to dodge an oncoming continuity error, I'll swerve into a long detour that will take me several chapters to get through. Once I've made a decision, taken the story a certian way, I'm committed. It's a one way street; I can't turn around. And if it happens that I'm headed to a dead end, the whole journey is wasted and I'm stuck. The more info I add to the story, the more cargo I add to the truck and the harder it becomes to dodge plotholes. If I succeed in the end, I'll deliver a good story to my readers. HOpefully I won't run off the road before that happens.

posted by Jonah Comstock  # 1:49 PM
Comments:
I have faith in you, Jonah :D
 
If you DO run off the road, is there some kind of insurance for the writing truck? :P
 
No, I think that's the whole point.
 
You're overstressing, and if there is a dead end, it's not a waste.it just means you do better next time. to take your metaphor literally, almost everywhere I go, I have to get lost the first time to remember where it is the rest of the time
 
Post a Comment

Archives

08/01/2003 - 09/01/2003   09/01/2003 - 10/01/2003   10/01/2003 - 11/01/2003   11/01/2003 - 12/01/2003   12/01/2003 - 01/01/2004   01/01/2004 - 02/01/2004   02/01/2004 - 03/01/2004   03/01/2004 - 04/01/2004   04/01/2004 - 05/01/2004   07/01/2004 - 08/01/2004   09/01/2004 - 10/01/2004   10/01/2004 - 11/01/2004   11/01/2004 - 12/01/2004   12/01/2004 - 01/01/2005   01/01/2005 - 02/01/2005   02/01/2005 - 03/01/2005   03/01/2005 - 04/01/2005   04/01/2005 - 05/01/2005   06/01/2005 - 07/01/2005   07/01/2005 - 08/01/2005   08/01/2005 - 09/01/2005   10/01/2005 - 11/01/2005   01/01/2006 - 02/01/2006   03/01/2006 - 04/01/2006   04/01/2006 - 05/01/2006   12/01/2006 - 01/01/2007   10/01/2007 - 11/01/2007  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?