I had an interesting conversation with Evan today, and it kind of got me thinking about physical beauty (in people, girls specifically). Now let me preface by saying I'm not one of those shallow guys to whom physical beauty means everything. But there are some things that just make a girl incredibly attractive.
And what I discovered is, it all comes down to the eyes and the smile. Beautiful eyes can't be quantitatively described. It doesn't come down to a particular color or shape of eyes, it's something more. What you can see when you look into them. Beautiful eyes are deep, they show you hurt and happiness and a whole life waiting to be known. And of course you can't see all that in it's entirity, but you can see it enough to know it's there, waiting. Beautiful eyes take you away to another place, just staring at them.
A beautiful smile brings you home again. Unlike the eyes, the smile is a concrete thing. It's wide and inviting and above all genuine. A beautiful smile is one that you believe was made just for you. And like I said, it brings you back to reality.
The two require each other - a beautiful smile without magical eyes seems fake or forced, but deep eyes without a real smile seem creepy. It's the combination that can just make you melt.
I don't know if all this is universal or just my own experience, and it certianly isn't the extent of beauty. At best it's one type of beauty, even within the subcategory of physical beauty. But nonetheless, it seemed like a good topic for one of my mini-essays. And that bit of quasi-poetry had been up for too long.